Wednesday, May 7, 2014

On finding stories...


Today, I came across an old cassette tape.  On it was a recording of me telling various stories to my kids at bedtime.  My now teenage daughter and I laughed hysterically.  A 5-second portion of it typified the personalities of my kids to this day.  It is true.  They are born with a little personality and it continues without deviation.  God help me.   Anyway, at one point when my kids were young, I was really good at telling bedtime stories and decided to start taping them.  I then thought of an idea for a website, which became the iTunes of audio stories, but unfortunately, without the same traffic...or sales.  It was, to this day, an amazing idea and site.  I still miss it.  But, life has a funny way of changing, even though personalities may not. 

Where am I going with this?  Well, first, it got me thinking again about how important it is to be creative in your life.  My current job is somewhat lacking in this area, so hearing the tapes was motivating to again create a hobby, or carve out an aspect of my work, that can bring out the creative side.  Humans all need to exercise this critical part of their brain and soul.  It really is a gift to be creative. 

Second, I noticed that nearly all of the stories I told held a message.  Be kind to others.  Don’t tease.  See the good in others.  Be kind to animals.  Be giving.   This, even more than creativity, is the essence of life.  I hope that a little rubbed off on my kids each night as they fell to sleep.  I never realized I was doing that in the stories, so it’s good to know that maybe I was a little better mom than I gave myself credit for.  The hardest job in the world never has a grade report, so one always tends to see the flaws and forget the good that was done.

Third, and last, love your kids.  They grow up too quickly.  Appreciate those little moments.  Record their sweet voices.  Soon they will be teenagers blasting the car radio as you sit white-knuckled on the passenger side.  Be a passenger throughout their lives.  Don’t miss out.  For they will too.  On those creative stories, on the hidden messages, and on your unflappable and unconditional love.

Stories and kids should always meet.  Love too.

No comments:

Post a Comment